They're waiting for a librarian to return with a book. As the mom searches the shelves the children gather around a table with only two chairs. Dilemma. The girl and 2nd oldest fight over the chair and of course, the Oldest in his "power" makes the clarification - "Bennnn, she was there first." She wins. Ben though, is smart, and goes to retrieve another chair from a nearby table. As he starts to pull the chair over, Oldest Son, says, "Beennnnnnn. Don't." Ben disregards him and pulls the chair over. Littlest Son jumps into that chair. As he pulls another chair over they decided to play a game as they wait. What resourceful children! They decide to play the game where one person places their hand on the table and then the next person places their's on top, so on and so forth until the bottom hand has to come out and be placed on the top. The rotation follows until there is chaos - everyone just starts flapping and batting the others' hands. Many times have I played this game with my sisters in an attempt to entertain ourselves. The librarian returns with the book and the children are excited. It sounds as if it's a book that the mom reads to the children at night together as a nightl ritual. I like that.
I don't know what it is in observing this interaction that brings me delight, it just does. Perhaps it reminds me a lot of my youth - having four younger sisters and playing together all the time. The dynamics of oldest child and middle child and youngest child are fun to observe. They ring true for our family and probably for most others as well. Maybe I take delight in it in hoping that my future holds the blessing of children. I love children, as most of you know, and can't wait to have a family of my own. Yeah, yeah, I guess I can wait - but I feel motherly tendencies alot when I see children (but please don't call a single 25-year-old "Mom" - it will not go over well with her and will not end well for you either!)
Okay, perhaps I should do some work today now that I've finished blogging and read every article in Entertainment Weekly about "Twilight." :)