I've been having an exceptionally hard time working this week. So I made a plan - get up, shower, read, go to Dewey's all day. I cannot work in my apartment. I need to get out.

So here I am at Dewey's attempting to finish my talk for Oasis on Thursday. I don't believe it will be stellar, but I believe it will be very raw.

Anyway, I'm allowing myself to blog this before I start REALLY working hard on my talk outline. Then perhaps as a reward I'll allow myself to blog again. Or watch a BSG video in preparation for Friday.

As I sit here and organize my table with all the things I will need to write this talk, a man in a blue winter ski-like jacket walks in and yells something. I was too far away to hear. He came around the corner and said the same thing, "Do any of you own the silver Volkswagen outside?" I shake my head no (if only!). He starts to walk further into the popcorn shop and a woman across from me says, "Wait, what type did you say?" By now I can see he is a security guard for Shaker Square and whose responsibility it is to give parking tickets. She realizes it's her car and tells him. The security guy says, "It's run out of money on the meter, so you'd better go put some in it. *pause* Or else I'll give you one of these (and he puts his hand out which reveals the oh-so-lovely parking tickets)." The guy leaves the coffee shop as the woman goes out to put money in the meter.

I don't know about you, but I thought that was awfully kind of him! Isn't it kind of gross that I'm so surprised by it though? But wow. What a nice guy! To walk all the way into Dewey's and find the owner of this car just so they won't get a parking ticket. I know they are only like $30 or so dollars, but still. It was a very nice act of kindness on his part.

I think I need to be more kind.

1 Comment

  1. Jessica Chen on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 3:29:00 PM EST

    Um no it's not gross :P. I would have been too (and I am!).
    It is easier to do evil, than good (Rom 7:19)
    And plus, kindness is one of the fruits of the Spirit. We should see that fruit often in the Body of Christ as it reaches out to the world, but then again, it's not a surprise that we don't see it very often outside of that context. Hence, it's not gross to be surprised =). It's merely human :).
    I don't call it a cynical or pessimistic viewpoint of the world either...For no one was righteous, not even one. And when we do see kindness, it is a reason to rejoice for His Kingdom is here.