When I was home in the Burgh a few weeks ago, my Grandma, bless her soul, took me shopping. She had a coupon for a pair of shoes at Kohl's. In the store, she suggested that I look at these ones ... then those ones ... and then my eyes fell upon this brown pair of cute MaryJanes. They were casual, yet could be dressed up if they needed to be. I thought I'd try them on, but wasn't expecting much for some reason. It takes a while for me to find shoes I not only think are cute, but are comfortable and fit right. Perhaps I'm too picky?

And as soon as I slipped my foot in I knew - these were the shoes for me. They fit well. They looked good. They were a great price. I could walk in them. My foot didn't slip in the back. There was room to breathe for my toes. And most importantly they were super comfortable. I could imagine myself wearing them.

I can't explain - they just fit ... so right. And I knew, without trying on any other pair of shoes that these were the ones I wanted. So I bought a brown pair ... and a black pair too.

The man I want to marry - I want him to fit just right as well. Like a good pair of shoes ... or better yet a comfortable, just right, pair of jeans. There's nothing greater than putting on a pair of shoes or jeans that fit just right and feel so good. That's what I want. I want a man that will fit like a good pair of jeans. Lol. It sounds a bit funny. But yeah, I think I'll just know. Like the moment I slipped my foot into the MaryJanes - I just knew - these are the shoes for me. I think I have a pretty good sense when something feels just right or when something doesn't jive.

It's comfortable. It's good. I can be me and just me. Not what they want "Stephanie" to be, but actually who "Stephanie" is. I'll slip my foot in and just know ... like a good pair of jeans.

2 comments

  1. Jessica Chen on Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 1:12:00 AM EDT

    I think that's beautiful Stephanie. I don't know why...it just is.
    Sometimes I wonder if I have any of that beauty left in my vision of relationships anymore. There is a slight (almost undetectable) undercurrent of cynicism/pessimism/realism (call it what you will) to my view/my thought and to what I write about relationships these days...An example: today, out of the blue, a thought popped into my head, "you know, I don't really agree with physical attraction being at all a factor in a relationship. At least not at the start of a relationship. Because I've seen too many attractive people be the worse lovers in the world. They knew nothing about love: how to give it nor receive it. And I've seen the most "ugly" people be the best lovers in the world."...It was more or less a semi-response to your comment to my attractions post...
    Now whether that means that I have now grown distrustful (and fearful) in general about relationships and all that pertain to it remains to be seen, I guess.

     
  2. Sheila on Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 1:06:00 PM EDT

    I agree that this is a really nice way to think about 'the one' (if there is such thing as a 'the one'). Just on a side note, I think that the idea of 'comfort' in a relationship is one that is somewhat new to our generation, or generations close to us... My mom (and I'll bet some other parents) is constantly appalled by the degree of comfort Joe and I have with each other, telling each other about personal things, bodily functions, cleaning each others' messes, being very casual with each other, etc. She always believes in keeping certain things private to be ladylike and respectful... but I'd rather wear a 'pair of jeans', so to speak!

    Come to think of it, my mom never wears jeans and I wear them daily...

    ... If your metaphor stands, maybe your grandma should take you to a MAN store! HAH! jk, of course.