Anyway, I realized today as I drove past in Shaker Square that East Coast Custard is now gone. :( I'm very sad. Now where will I go to get ice cream? Joyce and I went at least monthly to get ice cream there and talk about our lives this summer. I really enjoyed that. One time we even found a stray cat, or so we thought, but he was actually owned by the guy who owned the business next store 'cause we called the number on his tag. Who let's their cats roam around like that? I've gotten ice cream there with many other friends and had fun memories. Shaker square is cute and fun and in the summer, what's better than walking through the lights, hearing the live music at Sarava and eating ice cream?!
So what's the deal?! Here's the scoop (hahahahahaha!!!!):
East Coast Custard closes at square
CLEVELAND -- The Shaker Square branch of East Coast Original Frozen Custard served its last scoop of custard Friday.
The store has been open for three and a half years, but a senior member of its management said Shaker Square could not generate enough foot traffic to support the store.
He cited lack of parking and retail stores as the major problems.
He also said that when the company originally considered a location in Shaker Square, the Coral Company, square owner, had promised certain amenities that never materialized.
"It was represented to us that there would be a small amphitheater and a stage," he said. Although Shaker Square hosted some concerts this summer, it was "late in coming."
The manager, who declined to give his name, also said that in the original plans, the Coral Company said there would be fountains, playgrounds and perhaps some condos.
"There were certain things in the original plan that appealed to us but they never came about," he said.
Coral Company did not return calls for comment by deadline Tuesday.