For those of you that laughed at me when I said that even up here in Cleveland we had the potential to feel the effects of a hurricane ..... I give you last night:

Hurricane winds (mind you it was a category 4 [winds 131-155 mph. Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal] w/ winds peaking at 145 mph) spun all the way up here in the Ohio Valley at about 30-80 miles per hour, ripping roofs off of houses and uprooting trees. This is a pic of a down tree I saw on the way to the library today. Winds from this hurricane as it crossed the Ohio Valley and up still had a diameter of 150 miles!!! That means from the "eye" of the storm over land here in Cleveland-ish - the winds were also sweeping across Pittsburgh and south as well as east and west. Absolutely amazing.

I am a nerd. I love meteorology.

Anyway, I'm just grateful that the down branches and whatnot didn't effect my viewing of the Steelers beating the Browns. Holler.

0 comments