It's only 11:24 and my day is all messed up. I'm usually a person that's got it all together. I'm usually prepared for what the day requires - having all the things I need and being where I need to be on time.

Today is not one of those days. They rarely happen, at least to me, and when they do, it's a clear sign that something is up.

This morning I left to go to the Cleveland Hts library to continue working on my Oasis talk. I got ready and finally was able to leave. I realized 3/4 of the way here that I had left my wallet in my other bag since I was out last night. Unpreparedness #1. I debated about turning around, but figured I didn't need it immediately and that I could go back and get it later.

As I was pulling into the library my phone flew out of my bag and slid down beside the passenger seat. I made a mental note that I should pick it up once I got to the library.

I pulled in and gathered all of my belongings, all the while praying that one of the few "private" rooms would be open. They are a nice safe haven, a place to think and do work - with lots of space.

One was open. I ran into it and started to unpack my stuff and set up shop for another long day. As I pulled out my laptop, I realized I never packed my power cord. Unpreparedness #2. This would mean that I could now only work as long as my battery would allow and I'd eventually have to leave mid-day. Not in my original plan. I was camping out here till it was completed.

I decided that I'd work on addressing some envelopes first and then pull out my talk. Yesterday, I had finished my outline and printed it to edit it. I was hoping to do some more editing today. I pulled out the folder but alas, the printed outline which I needed to work from was not there. I had left it at home on my desk. Unpreparedness #3. Rawr! I really needed my printed outline.

After discovering my outline was still at home, I decided that I needed to email someone at a request of a phone message that was left to me. This person was in need of someone's phone number. I started typing the email - my goal to give the phone number to the one who needed it. I went to pull out my phone to look up the number and it was nowhere to be found in my bag. Because it was still nestled nicely next to the passenger seat of my car. Unpreparedness #4.

Now for some of you, you're thinking - that's nothing! For me, it's a lot to happen within a span of 65 or so minutes. I'm usually prepared and have my head in the game.

So what does all this unpreparedness mean? As I write this entry, I think it may be God's way of giving me an illustration for my talk on Thursday. Hardy har har. I'm talking from Matthew 25, the parable of the Ten Virgins. Prepared vs. Unprepared. Both having implications.

Now I should stop blogging and get to work before my battery dies and I have to leave! :)

0 comments