I noticed the other day that my blogging has significantly slowed down. It could very well be that the school year is approaching and my responsibilities are exponentially increasing by the hour. Okay ... so that's an overstatement, but that's what it feels like.

Anywho, I was thinking about what I could blog about and then .... it happened.

Now, let me just tell you a bit about me. A lot of girls are scared of bugs. I am making a blanket statement. Lots of girls are afraid of bugs/spiders/crawly things. I have to say that I'm mildly (like the salsa flavor) frightened. I am more of a "move out of the way and let me kill this thing" kinda girl. However, there is one insect that I am terrified of. When I see them, it's enough to make me gag and feel nauseous. Seriously. Only three things (that I can think of now) make me gag: 1) I see/smell throw up 2)hair/food leftovers in drains and 3)centipedes.

Tonight as I was racking my brain for something to blog about, out of the corner of my right eye (I had taken out my contacts at this point and didn't have my glasses on) I spot a yellowish thing scurry, and I mean scurry, across my living room floor. I immediately, in damsel-in-distress style, jump up onto the table in the room to get my feet away from the moving thing. After a moment of catching my breath, I bravely decide to look for "it." As I pull up the couch cover, assuming that's where it went, there "it" is. However, since I don't have glasses on I can't make out what it is! So, I dive off of my table and into my room to look for my glasses. Put them on and jump back onto the table to again find the creature scurrying through my house. I pull up the cover to see if it's still there and lo and behold, he is - A GIANT CENTIPEDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

UGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! He sits there and stares at me (at least I think?) and I stare back, while holding back the nauseousness that is quickly coming over me. I stand on the table and think to myself, "what do I do!? Do I kill it? Do I just let it run away and hope I never see it again? What if he climbs up onto the couch and into my clothes?!?!" YIKES!!! The moment of decision comes when I leap off of the table and run over to grab one of my sneakers and run back to the safety of the table top.

Killing an insect isn't as easy as you think. For this guy, because of his speed, I have one shot. Miss him and he's outta here! So in order to actually get 'em, I decide that I should move over to standing on the couch for a better angle. Okay. Sounds good. So I step over to the couch, squat down, sneaker in right hand ready to clobber the beast.

The showdown begins - I make my move! I pull up the cover with my left hand and SLAM!!!!!!!!!! I let go of the shoe hoping that my one shot was enough. Nervous ... I lift up the shoe to see if I had crushed my foe. And, there before me lay his dead, squished body .... legs and all. SUCKAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! I quickly ran, with his body stuck to my shoe, to the bathroom and dumped his lifeless body into the toilet. FLUSH!

Smacek: 1 Centipede: 0

3 comments

  1. Anonymous on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 11:38:00 PM EDT

    thats amazing story.

     
  2. Sheila on Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 9:48:00 AM EDT

    I actually felt creepy crawlies on my skin when I read this.. I kept on having to scratch myself... Eeek.. You were pretty brave! I'd just hide completely!

     
  3. Jessica Chen on Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 10:48:00 AM EDT

    lol =). I enjoyed this story =).
    Btw, I love the way you write. It's very refreshing to read. Just thought I'd tell you that =D.