
Today, sister #2, Natalie, 23, is moving out of our house and into her own apartment. On Tuesday, sister #4, Melanie, 18, is moving out to attend her first year of college at Penn State, University Park. I can't imagine how my Mom is feeling. These are major hits for her, and in the same week. Second daughter leaving the nest. Fourth daughter entering her training for the real world. Wow.
And here I am, sad as well. Not sure why. Maybe it's because time is moving at such a rapid pace and I want it to slow down. Maybe it's because it's hard to go through these life transitions. I share a bond with my sisters like I've never shared with anyone in the world. It's hard to explain. It's like, when you go away on missions trips or a conference or something ... and you come back and you and the group you're with have this "shared experience" together that bonds you forever. It's like that, but they are my sisters and our "shared experiences" are our whole lives. Some good. Some fun. Some sad. Some very painful. Regardless, we've gone through them together and the sisterhood we share runs deep. I would do anything for my sisters and I know they feel the same.
I remember when my sis Nat would write me these 'love notes' when I would go
away on trips. They were always so sweet and I've kept a bunch of them. I like to pull them out and use them against her sometimes ;). Just kidding. Natalie has been great to get to know not only as a sister, but as a friend. She's someone who has deep compassion for hurting people. I admire her for that. She's a "behind-the-scenes" kinda girl. She's funny. She cries, a lot. She's very thoughtful. One of my favorite things to do is crawl into bed (she may say I jump) with her when she's trying to nap or sleep. She hates it. I think it's funny. :) I remember jumping and dancing around in her room to Good Charlotte. Or my secret strategy of getting a hug from her by asking, "can you make me warm?" Good times. I miss you, Mayberry.Mel-mel or Mel Sue, as we like to call her, will be heading to her first year of school where she'll study some sort of engineering. Wow. Where has time gone? Mel is incredibly smart and mature. She did go
through the "angry teenager" stage, which felt like forever. Mel is a silent observer. She watches people well. She loves to read and learn. I remember when she shared with me that she wrote her school essay about her hero, and that she had chosen me. I was taken back, how could I be her hero? It was one of the sweetest things. I've saved it on my computer. I remember when she asked me to attend her Girl Scout "mother/daughter luau."[Mom was probably working] It was great to hang out with her that day. I will miss her dearly when she goes away to school and becomes a young woman. I look forward to her going far in life and giving back with the gifts the Lord has blessed her with.This has turned into sad post! Not my intention. But I do miss my sisters greatly. They are overwhelming fun in so many ways. I wish I lived closer to them so I could see 'em more often. But alas, that cannot be. I do love them deeply. They hold a special place in my heart. I love you all sisteritas!!!