Blasted. God's Word = so illuminating. The Case IV small group ministry is studying the book of James this fall so I decided that I should study it up as well but before the year starts. I have to admit, it's not a favorite of mine. I think it's b/c it's relatively different than most of the books in the NT. Regardless, it's been convicting.

Today I was in James 2:1-13 and man, I got crushed. Always like the Word to do. "Believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism," - James 2:1 This study book I have asked the question, "Who do you show favoritism to? or Who have you judged within this last week?" and I was clobbered. I wrote a huge list of just the people that I judged this past weekend while at home (particularly at the drive-in and 4th of July festival). I thought about it too while I was doing it, and didn't even stop. Even worse! I think there are certain groups of people I judge often - like if you aren't this or that then you get put in the "to be judged" category. Dang it! I was reminded this morning as I was studying, of Ephesians 2 - and the feud between the Jews and the Gentiles. When I view certain groups of people and judge them ... it's messed up. Jews loathed Gentiles. It wasn't until the cross that the playing field was leveled. Both groups were in desperate need of a Savior. We're all sinners in need of God's grace - none worse than others ... all just broken and sinful. Who am I to judge?

"If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers." - James 2: 8 WHAM! Do I really treat people like I'd like myself to be treated? In action, maybe. In thought, probably not. *sigh* I think one of my biggest offenses is thinking I'm better in others. Some may say that's crazy, cause I'm not very confident in some areas of my life, but that allows me to judge others in a way to make myself feel better and push away the tenderness of it.

The study also posed this question, which I'm interested in your answer to: Does God show favoritism? I have to admit this question threw me for a bit of a loop. What do you think? Does God show favoritism? If so, how does that mesh with us as followers of him to not show it? Or does it not matter? Hit me up.

Anyway, moral of the story kids is don't judge and love others as yourself. Got it? Good.

0 comments