I'm continually amazed at how a book written so long ago stunningly reflects the culture of the day. The Word of God has the ability to describe a time from long ago but at the same time a time not so long ago: today. It's unreal.

Today I studied Isaiah 2:1-4:6. Get a load of this "chunk" [that's an official IV manuscript term] that's repeated at least three times within less than 22 verses:

10 Go into the rocks,
hide in the ground
from dread of the LORD
and the splendor of his majesty!

11 The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled
and the pride of men brought low;
the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.

Bam! There is it. The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled and the pride of men brought low. Nothing like being put in your place. [What I studied wasn't only about the destruction of those that find themselves in that position, but about the Branch of the Lord that will be beautiful and glorious and for those who are left will be called holy.] But still, I think pride is one of the biggest struggles we have today. We are very proud people, so proud we cannot even admit it sometimes.

I was just reflecting last night on how prideful I acted recently. I used my supposed biblical knowledge and understanding of scripture to slam someone who's understanding and conviction wasn't as comprehensive as mine (not that mine is alot either). I felt good for the moment b/c I felt that I should put them in their place. Then I felt horrible afterwards. I was acting so proud - like I had it all going on and was taking pride in my knowledge. Dangit! This isn't God's desire. He's clear on what will happen to those who are proud and arrogant - they will be humbled and brought low and that which is truly worthy will be exalted.

So I raise the question, to not only myself, but to you? How do you exhibit pride and arrogance?
What are things, other than God, that you take pride in?

"Come, house of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord." - Isa 2:5

0 comments