Here are reasons why the fourth of July might be one of my favorite holidays to celebrate:
- It takes place in the summer
- Bbq's and picnics (one of my all-time favs.)
- 4th of July appropriate activities including - cornhole, ladderball, volleyball, swimming, horseshoes, setting off firecrackers, playing with sparklers, water balloons
- Loud music from live bands (including the great 4th of July songs such as, "ROCK in the USA," "God Bless the USA," "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles and others.)
- Food - one of the best parts. Hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, funnel cakes, snowcones, candy, festive drinks, pie, macaroni salad, watermelon etc.
- Celebration - celebrating and being joyful = fun
- Friendliness - people are more friendly on holidays. You are more likely to have random convo's with stranger's during all the festivities.
- Family/friends - I love nothing more than being with the people I care about in my life.
- FIREWORKS - This is a HUGE part of the 4th of July celebration. I love 'em. You need to have high quality and long fireworks. In Pittsburgh, that's a given. I'm not sure where Cleveland stands yet ...
- I will admit that the meaning of the 4th of July isn't AS center in my life on this day as either 1) it should be or 2) as it is in others. Which is okay. I'm grateful for the men and women who have served in the armed forces and for what that brings for me and for this country today. I'm quite lucky (I would say privileged) to live in a place that can celebrate the idea of freedom and what it brings. I continue to pray for those who are not as fortunate.
O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!