Christian Science Journal -
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p09s01-coop.html
USA Today -
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-09-american-religion-ARIS_N.htm
Eugene Cho -
http://eugenecho.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/the-coming-evangelical-collapse/
I like all those articles. Very eye-opening and I agree with the main points of the Michael Spencer article and Eugene Cho's article. Some of what Michael wrote about is already happening.
I do think (and have thought for a while now) that Christianity in America in general is in for a rude awakening. There will be "death" in many forms and fashions. And overhaul of sorts. However, like Eugene and Michael, I believe this is a good thing. It needs to happen and is coming at the perfect time (God's time).
In Lk 22:31-32, Jesus says to Simon Peter, "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat but I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
We are being sifted. The Church in America will be sifted. BUT by the grace of our God and the power of the Holy Spirit, a remnant will remain. And that remnant will see the measure of God, a good measure that has been pressed down, shaken together and running over (Lk 6:38).
A seed must die before it can grow. We are being pruned and those parts holding us back will die. And though the world only sees the death, suffering, and persecution part of this process, God has shown us throughout the bible and throughout history that by God's power and grace, the saints and His bride, the Church, will be smaller but will come back 10-fold, 30-fold, 100-fold stronger after the process. We have not been sifted and pruned for quite some time and our spiritual garden is overgrown with weeds. It will be a growing season for the body of Christ in America and I have great anticipation for it. I hope for it. I have hope for God's bride and His people.
After you wrote your reply to my previous comment on your jamaica entry about now being recognized as a missionary in America, my feelings were strong. Why weren't you considered a missionary previously? Because the field was considered to be too easy. Ah but the field now is getting to be hard and a field worker is now considered a missionary in America. Glory be to God! I strongly feel that He has prepared some of the Church in America for such a time as this. We are all being strategically placed and equipped by the Holy Spirit. You are in your position for such a time as this. We are all in this together (side note: HSM! haha) and we will all see the glory of God be revealed to this people who have turned away.