Age: 9 years
Location: My house

It was on this day, Groundhog's Day, 17 years ago, that a most unfortunate accident came upon me.

It was a day, not unlike today, where the snow on the ground was melting, making the perfect conditions for snowballs and ice skating rinks. My sister Natalie (7), Christie (6) and I decided to play outside. It wasn't that cold, but there was still a fair bit of white on the ground.

I came up with a brilliant idea: let's grab our sleds and slide on the ice. Sliding down a hill was so yesterday. So, I, as the true leader took up the metal sled first.

The ground in front of our back porch was flat, and water, either from rain or snow, got caught their often, making it a nice patch of thick ice. It was a perfect location to try my idea.

As my sisters looked on, I grabbed the metal saucer and took a nice running start. I jumped up and dove belly first on the saucer to slide across the ice. Boy, was it fun.

This didn't last too long. You see, the patch of ice, wasn't as long as I thought. Epic fail. My sled hit the dry ground, but the momentum continued to carry my body .... face first into our back porch. Yes, face first.

All I know, is that I stood up and felt a horrible pain in my face. I looked down and blood was pouring all down my super cool blue and white snow jacket, turning the white snow a crimson color. I had sliced a good piece of my top lip off. It was literally hanging there.

Craziness ensued at my house (my dad gets a little crazy during emergencies - imagine a giant ape running around and grunting, yeah - that's him) until we arrived at the hospital where it took 13 stitches to reattach my lip that was now four or so times it's normal size.

So yes, this day goes down in history for me and my family. For a long time, my top lip drooped a bit, but that has since disappeared. Thank goodness. :D

0 comments