Today was definitely a day I'll never forget.

Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of these United States.

I wanted to make sure I was watching it and being there to watch it with a lot of people. I felt a moment like this one should be shared with others. Those were my goals of the day.

And so I did. After my meeting with EC we headed over to the Thwing Ballroom and joined the other students, staff, faculty etc. watching the events unfold on the big screen. I have to admit that it was quite overwhelming. To stand in a room of African Americans, Asian Americans, Indians, Caucasians, Bi-racial etc. and witness this historic moment listening to many cheer and clap was just overwhelming. It was restorative and emotional. Such a momentus occasion.

One of my favorite moments:



Tonight a few of us, J, J, M, and J, (wow ... a lot of J's) went to the Grog Shop on coventry for an Obama party. It was actually a lot of fun despite the very interesting crowd and entertainment. They had these two spoken word artists perform and this one guy wrote this poem about his 90 year old house and if it could talk, what it would say, particularly about the history it's seen. It was pretty sweet. Another band performed later on in the evening and was pretty nice. Some of the people there decided they wanted to dance, which was really funny. There was this one white guy (who looked like Ted from Scrubs) who was breaking it down. He was totally dancing on the balls of his feet the whole time. Loved it. I was impressed with his confidence.

Overall it was a really good day - very memorable. It's exciting to think that I'll be able to tell my grandchildren where I was and what I was doing during the day Barack was elected. So cool. So very cool.

0 comments