This is from an article in December's edition of Christianity Today. It was actually the cover story:
"Scrooge Lives! Why we're not putting more in the offering plate."

"Of all Christian groups, evangelical Protestants score best: only 10 percent give nothing away. Evangelicals tend to be the most generous, but they do not out outperform their peers enough to wear a badge of honor. Thirty-six percent report that they give away less than two percent of their income. Only 27 percent tithe."

"Households of committed Christians making less than $12,500 per year give away roughly 7 percent of their income a figure no other income bracket beats until incomes rise above $90,000 (they give away 8.8 percent)."

1 Comment

  1. Jessica Chen on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 11:31:00 PM EST

    This is very interesting :)...
    I wonder what the stats are for this season considering the state of the economy right now...
    I'm blessed to have such wonderful generous role models in my life in my parents but I have been curious as to what other people were brought up with. I was definitely shown (if not told/taught) to always be generous.