My sister Christie is currently student teaching in Ireland. I received an email from her today that was so cute. She has never been out of the country. We come from a very white neighborhood, very suburban and her experience with anything else is exceptionally limited. So it's funny to get these emails where she's having these cross cultural experiences. Here is an excerpt from her email .... and an old school picture of us (yes that's me with blonde hair)

"well the election is tomorrow and everyone keeps asking me who I'd vote for. Ya know, I didn't realize that Ireland would be so up in "America's" business. McCain and Obama have been in the newspaper every day with the heading "The Elections that Affects the World." Even in regular conversation or on a show on the telly (television) the word America is mentioned. Btw, I found "Friends" on TV the other day and it made me think of you, Em! The radio also plays American songs, we were listening to it during the car ride yesterday. I thought it was going to be so different and in some ways it is and some ways it's not. I've journaled everyday and the biggest thing I'm getting from this trip is that I have taken for granted all the wonderful things America has to offter. I can't imagine living anywhere else other than the US and I am so thankful that that is where God has placed me. This Thanksgiving will be extra special for me I feel. I found Dr. Pepper in a deli the other day and bought two bottles because it's the only other thing I've drank besides water. And honestly, if I am served one more meal of potatoes and vegetables I might die. Seriously. When I come home, there better be a huge a$$ pizza and mt. dew waiting for me"

Lol. I really miss her a lot. Can't wait to see her.

0 comments