A few weeks ago I posted and asked ppl their thoughts on a few areas when it comes to dating and marriage. I asked about age, size, ethnicity, spiritual compatibility and family. Many of you answered, so thanks for sharing some of your perhaps private thoughts. I appreciate the honesty. I feel it only right for me to make some remarks about those very issues. So here are are my thoughts. Some of them may not be fully complete quite yet, but for where I am now, here's what I have.

*Age - For me, I suppose it's a case-by-case basis. I've met a few incredibly immature guys that were older than me and I've met some very mature guys that are younger. They'd need to be able to fit in well with my friends, IV colleagues, and family be it whatever age.

*Size - Eh, no thoughts really. I'd prefer he be taller cause I'm fairly short. :) I think that I've always had this idea that big guys equal security & safety or at least they make me feel safe, but I think that idea has been majorly challenged recently, for which I'm grateful. Society does a great job at falsely defining lots of things.

*Ethnicity - If you would have asked me this question 5 or so years ago, I probably would have hesitantly said that I was open to marrying someone from a different ethnicity. I don't think I would have even come close to fully understanding the realities that come along with that statement. Today, my answer is that I am very open to marrying someone of a different ethnicity. Am I aware of the realities of a decision such as that? To a certain degree. I guess you can't really know ALL of them until you get married. Inter-racial marriage is hard, but I believe it can be a beautiful thing. I've had many discussions with people recently about it (b/c of my original post). All I know is that marriage, be it to someone of the same ethnicity or not, is to be under the cross of Christ. Everything in it needs to be submitted to the cross.

* Spiritual compatibility - Yes. Mucho importante. I will never ever ever marry someone who is not a follower of Jesus. I think this is incredibly important. Trust me. I don't think I could marry someone who has recently become a Christian either. There are a few theological issues as well that'd I'd need for us to agree on before we could marry and if we couldn't, then I wouldn't marry them. There aren't a lot, but a few major ones, at least for me.

* Family - I think this would be a bonus. I would really take into consideration what my family would say about him. Would it be the final word? No way. It'd be great if they fit together 'cause I'm a big family girl (yeah ... I know). He'd have to survive a Macek family Christmas or at least tolerate it. Hah.

So there are some of my thoughts on those issues. I think it's worth thinking through some of these things beforehand ... and making a list of your "non-negotiatbles." So yeah.

I'm still looking for a pair of jeans ;)

0 comments