I'm not about to say that one city has more horrible drivers than the other, although I do have my opinion, but I will say this: this weekend I realized that I'm starting to drive more and more like a Clevelander. When I was visiting my family this past weekend in Pittsburgh I had two experiences that reflected my Cleveland-istic driving:
- Going through orange/red lights - Clevelanders are infamous for going through not only "orange" lights (the seconds between when the light is going from yellow to red) but even after the light has been red for at least 30 seconds. I've seen it over and over and over again and almost got killed by it. It's unreal. I did it this weekend in Pgh as I was driving to the mall with my Aunt behind me. The light was going from orange to red before I was even under it and I hit the gas without a second thought leaving her in the dust.
- Honking at the people in front of you at the stoplight one mili-second after the light has turned green - Yeah, you've seen it. You might have even done it. Cleveland drivers are also known for their hastiness when it comes to the light turning green. If that light has turned green and your foot isn't pedal to the metal, then you're getting honked at (as if you really don't know the light has turned green?!!?). Such impatience! Where's the fire? Anyway, I was stopped at a major intersection in Robinson Twshp this weekend and was behind a middle-aged man. The light turned green and he didn't go right away. What do you think I did? I honked the "impatient honk." The guy was jacked - he gave me the nastiest look in his sideview mirror. I felt ashamed. DANGIT! It was at that moment that I realized I was becoming more and more like the drivers in Cleveland.
Good or bad? I'm not really sure yet. Just an intriguing observation.
I remember when I first came to Case, my biggest shock of Cleveland drivers is how shamelessly they go through the red lights. Like, its not even CLOSE and they just go through. Yet now when I go to work, I find myself doing the same... well maybe not as shamelessly running red lights as some, but definitely pushing the limit more than I used to... what's the rush anyways???