As we grow up, one of the lessons we learn is that simple is better. Simple makes things easy. But after we're grown up, subconsciously it seems we decide that simple is boring. Making things complicated becomes an art form that we all excel at. Complicated is what we yearn for because if it's simple, we don't trust it. If it's easy, we don't believe it's real. Drama and struggle and imperfection make us believe that we're normal. And if we're normal, it seems like we have nothing.

My sister has this posted on her myspace. When I read it, it really resonated with me, especially the last two lines. This has come into play in my life currently. Struggle and imperfection is a part of life, courtesy of the The Fall, that we ALL have to deal with. Those things make us "normal" ... and normal to us means we have nothing. Why? Who do you know who doesn't have struggle or imperfections or even drama in their life? If they do, then they aren't really living. I don't know where people got the notion that there isn't conflict or rough patches that we all go through in life and in relationships especially. Gimme a break. Maybe it's because conflict doesn't bother me as much. What bothers me though, is that people are FAKE with each other. My goal in life is to be transparent, to be real. I think God wants aunthenticity from us and I think that's what we desire from one another as well. People are afraid of allowing others to see their dirty laundry, their struggles, temptations, desires etc. I think it's fear of judgement, fear of being vulnerable. If we are vulnerable with each other, it feels as if we are weak, that we don't have it all together. Society says we need to have it all together. Society says we have to be strong. Society says we have to take care of ourselves and use our "power" to get what we want.

Meakness and weakness are different. My pastor preached a message on this very issue today. Jesus said, "Blessed are the meak, for they shall inherit the earth (Matt.5:5)." He defined meakness as "power under control." I like that.

Um, back to topic at hand, I wish people would understand that struggles and drama are a part of life. Relationships are hard. You need to work at them, put the time in. I think it's worth it.

0 comments